Monday, December 1, 2014

State of the Union Address: Han Dynasty

Rose McCully
Ms. Mitchell
History
11/31/14


                                                       State of the Union Address

                I’m here to announce the creation of a peaceful, unified and prosperous China.

          The Mandate of heaven should only be given to those who would rule the best.  The Mandate of Heaven does not require noble birth to be bestowed since I am a man from a peasant background.  I Liu Bang have been given the Mandate of heaven, because Qin had lost the trust and faith of the people due to the harshness of their legalistic rule. Many of the legalistic laws were an alternative to morality, a more reliable means of ensuring a disciplined and cohesive society. Many of my people became convinced that the brutality of the Qin was unacceptable and decided that it was time to revolt against the Qin. The fact that Qin ruler was overthrown can be taken by itself as an indication that the ruler had lost the Mandate of Heaven.

         I am establishing my own dynasty called the Han Dynasty and I’m naming it after the Han River. In this this dynasty new changes and beginnings will arise. I will reestablish some of the vassal kingdoms and feudal states in regions distant from the capital which is Chang-an. Peasant discontent will be appeased by lessening demands for taxes and forced labor. And I also recognize that an educated bureaucracy is necessary for governing so vast an empire. I will make sure that the ban of Confucian classics and other Zhou literature will be lifted.  I will be open for a revival of the intellectual life that had been suppressed under the Qin.  The dynasty that was full of legalist principles will now be tempered by a Confucian claim on the ethical basis of the government. Only
talented men will be chosen for government service through an examination system based on the Confucian classics, and they will be promoted by merit.  The examinations will be open to all Chinese except merchants.

          I’m going to establish a Pax Sinica all over China to maintain peace and prosperity to this country.  The creation of irrigation and water conservation will be made possible; improvements in the making of farming tool will contribute greatly to an increase in agricultural production which will help the boost of the Han economy.  I have contacted people from the West through the Silk Road which will enable my people to trade goods with them. The world of arts, science and literature will rise in popularity and new inventions will be made in this dynasty for our future generations. The teachings of Confucius will emphasize a lot about respect, especially to parents and elders. The teachings and beliefs of Confucius which Qin overlooked will help me improve my dynasty with a system of ruling the land by morals and ethics.




No comments:

Post a Comment